Old 14-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Katra

Default Oyster mushroom update!

In article ,
(simy1) wrote:

Katra wrote in message
Looking exciting!!!!!

The Oyster mushroom "roots" (mycelia) have colonized both toilet paper
rolls now and are sprouting Mycelia in a circular pattern out the sides!
:-) Two of the tufts are looking rather thick, so it looks like I may
have Oyster mushrooms pretty soon. I forgot when I planted them so I'm
not sure how long its' taken.

In your original post I could not avoid noticing that you started your
culture after cooking the mushrooms somehow.

No no! I did not cook the mushrooms I used for planting! :-)

I cut off the stems and bases, and cooked the caps and ate them! I used
the raw stems and bases for the original puree... They are not as tender
as the caps, and they were the basis for my spawn.

I poured boiling water over the media (toilet paper rolls) and let them
cool prior to putting the "pureed" raw, fresh stems into the holes. The
puree comes out about the consistancy of corn meal, and it actually
decomposed a bit once the mycelia got started. That is why the holes
were then empty enough for me to stuff pine shavings into at this point.

I was wondering if that
is something that helps by killing the bacteria (while the spores
survive).

Did not use spores. At all. Just the mushroom tissue itself.

You see, all the fruiting body of a mushroom is is "organized" mycelia.
When it's all ground up like that and placed into the proper enviroment
in the proper growth media, it reverts back to basic mycelia.

I have found on the web a site that shows how to make
mushrooms (cut a bit out of mushroom, put it in an agar dish, then the
dish in a jar of boiled grains, then the grains in a few gallons of
sawdust, be paranoid about being clean all the while), but your method
seems to go directly to step two.

There are a large variety of mushrooms and different ones need different
media. Psychedlic mushrooms, (yes, I've read those websites also out of
curiosity ;-) ) need a grain based media and won't generally grow on
paper. The exception to that is P. cyanescens (or however it's spelled).
The common mushrooms in the grocery store can be grown in a similar
fashion, but need compost. Same with Portabellos.

The culture plate media is recommended for store bought composting
mushrooms so that you can start out with a sterile start as more
contaminating organisms will grow in compost or grain based medias than
on paper. Paper/wood eaters are simply easier to grow because there are
not that many contaminants that will digest clean or sterilized
cellulose sources.

It appears that Oyster mushrooms are less complicated to grow than some
of the others, hence my success even with my little accident with them.

And yes, I bypassed the culture plate altogether. There are a lot of
mushroom growing techniques now that also bypass this. The PF Tec
website shows one method of using spore or mycelia syringes to directly
innoculate sterile mushroom growth media for direct colonization and
growth. Sterility is imperitive in growing any mushrooms with a rich
growth media requirement. It's just not as important with paper/wood
eaters as I stated above.

Or at least it is working for me..... :-)

Hope this helps?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...