Old 14-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Bob

Default Deer Trouble

"GolfNut" wrote in message
help!! besides a fence...how do i keep the derr from eating my small
trees and plants. i use liquid fence but that is sooo expensive. plus
after a watering or rain, it's all gone.

is there a home remedy...some type of organic tea that i could brew to
put on stuff or around it to keep the deer away. they are even going
after "deer resistant" plants these days.

I have been fighting them for years - about ready to give up.

Fences don't work unless well over 6 feet high. Just today, I saw a doe in
my back yard jump a six foot fence into my neighbor's yard.

Electric fences don't work. A few years ago, I put an electric fence around
a garden. I used four runs of wire separated about 12 to 14 inches.
Within a week, I saw a deer get onto the fence and get tangled, and the last
I saw of most of the wire, it was trailing behind the deer as it ran off.

When I plant bushes or trees, I put a 4 foot fence around the plant, leaving
room for the plant to grow. I stake it to the ground with 3 or 4 pieces of
3/8 inch rebar (cut to about 3 feet long). I keep the wire about a foot
off the ground so I can mow and trim around it. If the bush/tree limbs
start pushing through the wire, I may add bird netting over them. I leave
this fence up for a few years until the tree is tall enough the deer can't
reach the leaves or the bush is older and less tender (I suppose) and then I
let the deer eat off the lower part they can reach, if they want to.

Sorry, I don't think there is a good answer to your problem except to get
rid of the deer, and I don't know how to do that safely and/or legally.

Bob