Old 14-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Emrys Davies

Default Buddleia alternifolia

'Juhn',

This site explains what you need to do to keep your plant in check.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/sgbud...ternifolia.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"John Dann" wrote in message
Can anyone offer any advice on 'developing' (ir pruning/shaping) a
Buddleia alternifolia plant?

We have a small one planted a year or two back and in some senses it's
just a mess - perhaps I should say a wide mound - of innumerable thin
arching woody stems from ground level up to its maximum height of 2-3
feet. While there's obviously some variation in stem thinckness,there
doesn't seem to be one leader or even say 6-12 thick stems that I was
perhaps naively expecting and around which one might train and shape
the plant.

It does seem to be quite a pleasing plant in terms of flower display
and one that we'd like to keep despite its present lack of shape or
form. But is there something more that we could/should be doing to
help create a healthy and pleasing specimen?

( I should say that I'm not bothered about pruning or shaping just for
the sake of it. If the plant is happy and will continue to flower
abundantly without attention then I'm happy to leave it well alone -
maybe it just needs a few more years to develop its own shape. But at
the same time I can;t help wondering if there's something more that
should be done to encourage one or more definite leaders to help gain
some height.)

John Dann
John Dann
www.weatherstations.co.uk (major update now online)