Old 14-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Jim Voege

Default Timing for sprinklers for plant beds

"Hal" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:50:40 -0500, "Tony" wrote:

In determining how long to water my lawn, I've read how you can set up

cans
to figure out how much water is put out and then calculating how long to

run
the sprinkler to put down a healthy quantity each time you water.

One inch of rain per week is considered a good amount of water for
most plants. Watering once or twice a week should help plants grow
deeper root systems, but soil compactness also plays a role. Some
soil doesn't absorb the amount of water my sprinkler system puts out
in the time the heads run on that area, so I water more often using
shorter runs with the timer. You'll have to work that out yourself.

I do too. Soil samples here showed a fairly high percentage of sand and
almost no clay. So I put down an inch every 5 or 6 days rather than 7.

Jim