Old 14-06-2004, 05:04 PM
gerry

Default Kitty Litter destroys String Algae

On 13 Jun 2004 16:55:43 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

What we need to do is figure out what it is about adding the plain kitty
litter, which is clay, and which is basically the same thing as koi clay (???)
anyway, what is it about it that worked on the string algae?
Did the clay particles grab at the string algae on its way down the stream,
tear it up and dump it in the pond?
Did someone sprinkle it on string algae in the pond? Did it tear it apart and
sink it?

From my observation, there is an effect has something to do with physical
contact of particles.

In my original post, I mentioned I had to add it several times is
different locations. Including some directly on a clump that was in a
still area of my stream.

Had it functioned via binding alone nutrient or mineral in the water, I
don't see why some of my stream would be cleared and some not!

5th day of usage now, only added the kitty litter the first 3 days. There
is almost no mass of string algae, a few very sickly blobs, very clear
water. Of particular interest, one "blanket" I intentionally did not
harvest in my pond is now just a sludge mass on my pump intake screen. The
snails seem to be enjoying a feast on it.

gerry

--

Personal home page -
http://gogood.com