Old 14-06-2004, 05:06 PM
MC

Default Covering Pond for Winter

What kind of heater are you using? I've heard of people using trough
heaters and there seems to be several kinds of pond heaters. I only
have 500 gallons in Chicago.

It is early, but my first year I lost all my Koi (used a bubbler to
keep hole open). Last winter, I brought them inside. They are now kind
of big to bring inside. I am trying to plan ahead. If I need to bring
them inside this winter, I need to buy a kiddie pool and you can't
find them in the winter in Chicago.

wrote in message ...
I am in Milwaukee, zone 5 and I cover my pond with plain dispo plastic altho I too
make a lean too above the pond.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/winters/winter.htm
this last year I put in a 500 watt heater for 1600 gallons and it kept the water 50o
or better for all but one month. meaning I could feed the fish lightly and their
immune system was down only about a month. I have a big 12" airstone blowing air
into the pond all winter. the air pump is in my garage.
Ingrid

"RichToyBox" wrote:

My pond is covered and heated during the winter. The cover is a lean-to
with 3 layers of poly sheeting and one layer of the pool solar cover. I do
not leave a venting area around the perimeter, but do enter the enclosure 2
times a day for feeding the fish. I do not think it would be necessary to
provide any ventilation if the cover is mounted above the pond. If it is
layed on the surface of the water, then I would leave at least an inch all
the way around and install airstones. The water will not be able to have
gas exchange under the cover, and will get fouled.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.