Old 14-06-2004, 10:08 PM
GFRfan

Default My lawn looks better than it ever has.

DJ wrote:
Mitch
I was glad to see your post. Thought I had subscribed to the wrong
newsgroup. You said you mow your yard 3"-4" . Can you tell me how you know
the height? Is the adjustment by the wheels set for 1", 2", 3" etc? I have
been setting mine on the 2nd or 3rd notch, would that make it cut 2 or 3
inches? I hope my question is not confusing.
Thanks,
Donna J.

wrote in message

A couple of years ago I posted here with pictures of a horrible lawn.
It now looks great, and I'm sure it will get better.

The advice I got here that helped was:

1. Don't mow it so short.
2. Mulch, don't bag
3. Give it more feedings throughout the season, instead of just a
springtime feeding.
4. Long, deep waterings instead of daily shallow waterings (I bought
one of those little traveling sprinklers).

I mow it now at about 3"-4" (we've had alot of rain, so I couldn't mow
as often as I liked), and I edge the driveway and sidewalk.

I also got lucky: a guy from my church owns a landscape/lawn care
business. He's doing each of my fertilizer treatments for $85. I
have 2 acres, so I paid more than that just to buy the fertilizer
myself.

Anyway, I know alot of people come here with "My lawn sucks...what can
I do" questions. So I wanted to give them some hope. :-)
After only two seasons after educating myself a little bit about
lawns, the change is incredible.

It will be better next year, because I plan to overseed the backyard
this fall.

Thanks, everyone!

Take your mower, set it on a level surface, ie garage floor, sidewalk,
etc, and measure from the bottom of the deck to the ground. That's your
height. That's assuming, of course, that all four wheels are set at the
same height.

--
Yard and Garden Handyman