Old 14-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Steveo

Default My lawn looks better than it ever has.

"No One" wrote:
It will be better next year, because I plan to overseed the backyard
this fall.

Newbie question - Does this mean you're just going to add seed to an
existing lawn? I was planning on doing this to my lawn, but does the
seed need to be watered to germinate? Everywhere I read says you need
to water, but it isn't feasible for me to do with my lawn. Would it be
a waste to overseed an existing lawn but not water it? The evil
crabgrass seeds can sit in my lawn for a long time and be treated like
dirt but they still germinate. Thanks.

You might want to consider renting a slice seeder this late summer/early
fall.(depending on where you live) They do a nice job of introducing the
seed into the soil by slicing a groove thru the existing grass/thatch and
soil.

Ryan makes a decent one you can rent at most rental places, it's called the
mataway overseeder. Use at least 4 and up to 10 lbs of seed per 1000 sq ft.

Be sure to use a good starter fertilizer at exactly the label rate, when
you seed.

If you do it in the Fall, the crabgrass won't compete with your seedlings,
and it will require -much less- watering or rainfall.

Late August is a great time to do it here in N Ohio..your timing may
vary, depending on where you live.

hth