Old 15-06-2004, 12:04 AM
someone

Default Zucchini rot / organic garden

Dusty Davis dustydavis - at - gmail.com wrote in message
news:2004061412353170377%dustydavisatgmailcom@news .charter.net...
Hello,

I'm a first-time gardener, and I've got nearly all of my zucchini
rotting at the tips (see photos).

http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/...hini-rot-1.jpg
http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/...hini-rot-2.jpg

I've searched for info and come across two possible causes: calcium
deficiency or too much moisture. I haven't done a soil test, so I'm not
sure about the calcium. I'm using a drip system, but I also do overhead
watering quite a bit - perhaps that is the problem? If I did supplement
the soil, is there an organic or relatively natural method?

I know the following applies to cucumbers, but since they're also members of
the squash family, maybe this will apply to your zucchini as well.
"Withering of young cucumbers starting at the blossom end is due to uneven
growth resulting from irregular watering. Remove all the fruits from an
affected plant to rest it, and spray the foliage with a foliar feed if it
has a poor color. Later-developing fruits should be normal once the plant
regains its vigor, providing there is no root disease present. Prevent
further trouble by watering cucumbers carefully and regularly."

HTH, s.