Old 15-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Mike Lyle

Default .......SNAILS......!!!

Stephen Howard wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:02:44 +0000 (UTC), "margthompson"
wrote:

Just recently had a good Snail-hunt. Garden was host to many families of
them. Took the trouble to pick them all off, took them all (about 35 of
them - Mums and Dads-Kids, Aunties, Uncles, Cousins and Friends) out to the
back lane and suggested to them they might like to set up their community
out there. Lo and behold there are lots more to evict. Or have snails got
a "homing instinct" ???? MT

It's unlikely the same snails have found their way back - unless your
garden's the only food source within reach - more likely is that you
missed them first time round.
Just keep at it - I usually find three or four sessions is enough to
decimate the population, and thereafter it only needs doing
occasionally to maintain the balance.

I used to have a blank north-facing house wall. Where did snails think
(if "think" is the right word) they were going when I found them
fifteen feet up and still climbing? I've often wondered how such
behaviour could possibly be adaptive.

Mike.