Old 15-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Lee

Default miniature greenhouses

dps wrote in message ...
Lee wrote:

Sounds good, but remember that ventilation is an important part of any
greenhouse. I assume you're using these small containers indoors
(otherwise you run the risk of having them blow away in a wind).
Indoors, there's probably no need to close up the "greenhouse" since
most houses have some form of temperature control, which is the primary
reason to use a greenhouse. You could just pull the lid off and use both
halves as trays to start seeds on a windowsill.

True.. ventilation is necessary. I normally open them to check once a
day and since i think maybe a bit of my breath blowing on them will be
helpful, i blow on them ; ) however, i have rooted cuttings without
removing lids and even in a zip-lock with a bit of soil and never open
them until they have rooted well.

no, at this particular project, i have them on a roofed patio with a
brick wall and have them on the floor and on a bench in a shady, cool
corner where they get light shade, and if i am expecting wind, put a
weight on them until the all clear. Right now, since they have primary
leaves on the two subjects, i took the lids off and have them where
they will be safe from the cat with a brik on the opened lid to keep
the cat from knocking themoff the brick wall....which reminds me..
thank Heaven...to go out and check them and perhaps put them back to
bed! i waned them to get a bit of a feeling for normal light so they
won't get spindly.

As an example of the necessity for ventilation, I have a small (14 x 20)
greenhouse. One sunny February day I closed it up. 30F outside.
Estimated 135F inside (it was off the scale of my thermometer). I now
store stuff in that greenhouse (since I now have a larger one). On sunny
hot days, if I don't keep both doors open, the temperature will get high
enough to melt the plastic flats.

When i had a 14 x 44 ft solarium with east, south and west all glass,
i kept a couple of fans going to keep circulation otherwise some of
the plants would sort of damp off. it would be 3 degrees outside on a
sunny day and 110 in the solarium if not vented. i vented it into the
house on sunny cold days. in the summer i just kept the screened
windows open. i had a place under the board walk in the solarium with
3 sets, if i remember right, of shop lights and 4 sets of
incandescents hidden in the top of it where i grew African violets
like in the wild. had a small fan to kep air circulated and would
stick a leaf in the soil and in a couple of months more violets. i
decided that the lord watered the violets wherever he grew them by
rain falling from above, so i sprayed them with water from above and
they did beautifully. never could keep one living in a pot, though!

gotto go and check those two little projects!
Lee h/tvksi