Old 15-06-2004, 06:04 AM
Bill

Default R.G.E FAQ?

Dee Jay wrote:

Bill wrote:
Soil problems: More compost. Under. Over. Throughout.

Should I just add my compost directly to the soil at the base of the plant
before watering? I've got a compost pile going, but I'm afraid to apply
it incorrectly.

Don't be. So long as your compost is pretty much 'finished', apply away. The
only caveat I can think of at the moment is to apply and maintain a thick
layer, not even bothering with a thin one. If you can't put at least an
inch or more over the whole garden, put two inches or more over the area
you can.

In the fall, turn this mulch into the dirt with a fork, spade or tiller and
apply a fresh mulching to cover the soil over the winter. In the spring,
turn the fall mulch into the soil, plant and apply a fresh layer of compost
as a mulch.

If this cycle is kept up continously, unless your soil is already perfect,
your soil will be dramatically better in just a year or so. Dramatically.

But don't take my word for it. On a non-work night, go to http://google.com
and use 'compost' as a search topic.

Bill