Old 15-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Sacha

Default Can I grow a clematis on the same wall as a Virginia creeper?

On 14/6/04 22:41, in article ,
"GR" wrote:

We have a south-facing garage wall that we want to cover up. We've
started growing a Virginia creeper on it, simply to get fast coverage,
but we've just discovered the winter-flowering evergreen clematis
cirrhosa "Freckles".

Is it practical for us to grow the two together on the same wall?

I'd guess the Virginia creeper would smother the clematis eventually. My
experience of 'Freckles' is that it tends to rush to the top of a wall and
flower way up high. The best way to grow it (IMO) is along the top of a
lowish fence or trellis - that way you get to enjoy the flowers!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk