Old 15-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default 3 to 4 inch Koi

wrote in message
om...
Just got my pond ready for fish and got 2 small koi (3-4") to start.
The pond is aboout 8x12 and 3 feet deep in the deepest point. They
have been in for two days. The two litle guys have been swimming a
bit, but when I tried to feed them today for the first time they just
hide in the oxegeninator plant I have in the deepest spot. Are they
two small to eat or are they just eating other things in the pond? A
neighbor said he has a few comet fish I can have, I was planning on
adding them in the next few days, but I want to make sure these guys
are ok 1st

Fish in a new pond typically run and hide. Just watch the Nemo movie, there
is a nice documentary piece when he is captured, bagged and then dumped in
the aquarium. There is a lot of "What the h..." going on. They won't starve.
They'll eat plant matter, algae, etc. You can keep trying to feed them but
don't overdue it. If they don't eat it, you don't want that food just
rotting in the pond. Also try to get on a schedule. Go to the same spot in
the pond everyday at the same time. Pretty soon, they'll be there waiting
for you.

As for your neighbors fish, I'd wait just a bit. Check your water for a
short time, to make sure the filter is properly cycled and handling these
fish, then add more.

BV.