Old 15-06-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Covering Pond for Winter

p. 361 of aquatic ecosystems catalog, $44 and extra 30 for the controller. but they
got titanium that are cheaper. mine has a separate temperature probe and the heater
is covered to prevent it from getting hit or melting liner down. people in warmer
zones dont understand that our ponds drop below 50o (when koi's immune system goes
down and feeding stops) sometime mid october in zone 5 and doesnt rise over 50o until
mid april. that is 6 months of no immunity and 6 months of no food. it is VERY VERY
hard on koi. you can always order some kind of pool from aquatic ecosystem, or,
build a stud wall pond in the basement and line that with permalon. Ingrid

(MC) wrote:
What kind of heater are you using? I've heard of people using trough
heaters and there seems to be several kinds of pond heaters. I only
have 500 gallons in Chicago.

It is early, but my first year I lost all my Koi (used a bubbler to
keep hole open). Last winter, I brought them inside. They are now kind
of big to bring inside. I am trying to plan ahead. If I need to bring
them inside this winter, I need to buy a kiddie pool and you can't
find them in the winter in Chicago.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com