Old 15-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Katra

Default Oyster mushroom update!

In article ,
(simy1) wrote:

Katra wrote in message
In article ,
(simy1) wrote:

Any hints on how to sterilize small logs?
I have a rather large woodpile and do not grill a lot and some of the
bottom layer is already rotting and growing it's own wild mushrooms with
all the rain we have been having. G I'd like to try innoculating some
small logs.

I think you lost rotting logs. There are fungi down the food chain
that will use them if you grind them into chips and inject them.
fungi.com sells a triple, succession spawn in which oyster are the
higher ranked, then there is ink cap and then those red-capped
things... sorry, not my day to remember names.
check their website.

Excellent. :-)
I've bookmarked the site.

I was not going to use the rotten logs, they are already well
fungicized. G One of them was sprouting a beautiful little golden
yellow cap mushroom this past Sunday. Pretty!

I have plenty of other logs that are in good condition.

Did you bleach and rinse the stems to sterilize the surface before
blending?

No, I was just careful when I handled them to have clean hands, and
rinsed them off with hot water. I did, however, bleach the food
processor that I used to grind them.

I wonder if UV would work also, since I have access to a UV
machine.

Careful. UV kills tissue too. :-)

I suppose one can accept some killing of surface tissue if
sterilization is good.

You are right. It probably would not hurt it since the sterile interior
would still be good and alive. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...