Old 15-06-2004, 11:07 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Follow up on berries question

"Rhiannon S" wrote in message
Subject: Follow up on berries question
From: "David W.E. Roberts"
Date: 15/06/2004 13:29 GMT Daylight Time

"Rhiannon S" wrote in message
snip
David W.E. Roberts wrote:

Has anyone seen more may blossom before than this year?

Indeed the Hawthorne in these parts [southern Pennines] were groaning
with blossom....on some trees so thick the leaves were almost entirely
hidden.

A neighbour has a Blackthorne and Hawthorne growing intertwined, a
beautiful sight this year.

That means we're going to get a hard winter, right?
--
Rhiannon

....or is that just an old wives tale.....

Hey, I'm not even a young wife yet, unless that was an offer..?
--

Hmmm...well charming though the prospect is there are some practical
difficulties, one of whom is asleep in the next room :-)

In fact I was just referring back to the start of the original thread, where
I suggested that the theory that a large crop of berries predicted a hard
winter was just an old wives tale.

Certainly last autumn there was a bumper crop of berries and last winter was
anything but hard - the birds are just finishing off the berries now.

My view remains that a good crop of berries follows a good summer - and
nature is bountiful but not necessarily psychic.

Cheers
Dave R

P.S. I suppose I could always change my religion to one which allows
polygamy? :-))