Old 16-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Phisherman

Default Best Time to Prune Climbing Rose?

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:41:06 +0530, "FEDUP" wrote:

I have this climbing rose that puts out a great show every spring. It is
growing like crazy and i want to prune it and arrange it. I know it blooms
only on the new growth for next year. Any do's and don'ts?

Prune it after it blooms. My ever-blooming Don Juan gets pruned about
every two weeks, snipping back just to the 5-leaflet. Otherwise, it
will produce large rose hips rather than more buds. Sometimes the
canopy becomes too dense and I have to remove a few canes to improve
air circulation and light. Avoid pruning 8 weeks before the first
fall frost.