Old 16-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Layne

Default Japanese maple nurseries in LA?

Hi Pam,

I thought as much. :-( I guess I will have to plan a day trip or
weekend trip up state.

Thanks,

Layne

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:04:43 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

There are quite a number of excellent J. maple nurseries located in the more
northerly parts of the state, including Mountain Maples in the Mendocino
area (one of the best in the country). I'd suspect that nurseries featuring
J maples, specially less common cultivars, are not nearly as common in LA or
the southern counties, as with the exception of coastal areas, the climate
is not very accommodating for these trees. Too hot and too dry.

FWIW, north central Oregon has probably the largest selection of commercial
Japanese maple growers of anywhere in the country. The mild climate and
considerable rainfall provide ideal growing conditions.

pam - gardengal