Old 16-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Katra

Default Oyster mushroom update!

In article ,
(simy1) wrote:

Katra wrote in message

I wonder if UV would work also, since I have access to a UV
machine.

Careful. UV kills tissue too. :-)

It came to me that the best way to avoid surface contamination is to
peel the stems with a sterilized knife (place blade on open flame,
peel using bleached latex gloves on bleached plate, immediately toss
peeled stem into bleached blender). As you can see I got my education
from brewmaking.

Sounds good. :-)

Do you add water when blending stems?

No, they stuffed into the holes just fine.
And it's working.

And why fill
the toilet paper core, when, say, tossing the mush with sterilized
straw would very much increase the contact surface.

'cause that's the instructions that I got. ;-)

And these grow out the sides of logs. Sterilized straw might work, and
so would sterlilized shavings, but you'd need to stuff them into a
burlap bag or something so that they could follow their normal
horizontal growth pattern.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...