Old 16-06-2004, 08:14 AM
Caroline

Default .......SNAILS......!!!

.. Or have snails got
a "homing instinct" ???? MT

I read on the Dutch FAQ that they do. Don't know if it is true.

My past method. Front garden, toss them across the road into the grass
patch. Logic, if they return, they won't arrive safely (lots of traffic).
Back garden, toss them across the - much less busy ;( - road into the
grass. My reasoning, I have nothing against snails I just want them to eat
somebody else's food. In this case, municipal supply since they are owner
and manager of the grass patches where I "planted" the guests.

Yesterday I was moving some primulas and discovered they were hosting a lot
of snails. My old method was too time consuming so I picked them all off the
plants and put them in the greens container. They can eat to their hearts
content and dream away until Thursday morning garbage collecting where no
doubt most of them will be crushed. A few will remain in the container. I
always keep the lid closed so there is no escape. They are welcome to live
there as long as they can.

An alternative to the egg shells and sharp sand, saw dust. Since I have two
challenges in the garden (snails and cats) I think I will go to the do it
yourself store nearby and beg them for some saw dust. If my plants are too
close the snails are having a party, if I spread them more sparingly the
cats will start digging again.

Caroline