Old 16-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Iain Miller

Default Giant Annubia too big

"Dick" wrote in message
I somehow got an annubia that has outgrown my 10 gallon tank. It has
occupied a corner of the tank for over a year and has just kept on
growing. The lower leaves are smaller than the top and in perpetual
shade. New growth is all at the top and have reached the water top.
I have roots coming out along the thick stem.

Can I cut off the bottom and replant the top? Should I trim older
leaves with algae growth and leave only new growth? Will both bottom
and top halves survive?

I am amazed at the size of this plant. I have a large anubia in my 75
gallon tank, but the one in the 10 is twice the size of the one in the
75. My other Anubias are less than 6 inches in height.

What to do?

Annubias are very tough. I thin mine out by removing older leaves quite
reguarly. I'd have no problem cutting the top off - just look for a sensible
place to cut with some roots above so that the top half will have roots
after you cut it off. They seem to thrive when you give them a bit more
space to work with by thinning them out.

I.