Old 16-06-2004, 03:13 PM
bigboard

Default Mulching

Cat wrote:

Many thanks to Stephen, Bigboard and Chris for their helpful answers. You
have made my day - so there *is* a use for leylandii.... I must start the
negotiations with the neighbours fortwith to shred not just a few branches,
but the whole bloody lot!!!
Good to hear too that the logs are good for burning, for that was my plan
for them. I feared they might spit as most conifer timber does, although it
should not be too bad in my kitchen pot belly stove.
Thanks again to all, and happy gardening.

They're not ideal for burning, being resinous woods. They can cause gum
to be deposited in the chimney which increases the chance of a chimney
fire. As well as this, they're not very good firewood.