Old 16-06-2004, 04:02 PM
simy1

Default For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps...Mushrooms?

gary davis wrote in message ...
On 6/3/04 9:03 PM, in article
, "Pen"
wrote:

If you have the right type of tree why not consider mushroom plugs.
You can harvest mushrooms for a few years then the stump turns to mush
you can scoop up with a shovel and compost.

http://www.mycosource.com/shiilogs.htm
http://www.fungi.com/plugs/index.html

Tell me more. I have a filbert nut tree stump about four feet wide and 1-2
feet thick (deep). It is sitting out in my garden...on a path (that's as far
as I could move it). Can I grow mushrooms in it? Out in the garden? With
full sun exposure?
Gary

stumps are better than logs but they should be left where they are (in
the ground). You cannot grow mushrooms in full sun, although turkey
tail mushrooms (pretty, but marginally edible) make it.