Old 16-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Gail Futoran

Default Refrigerating Pumps

"RainLover" wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:47:36 -0700, "Bill Oertell"

wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any pond pumps that also

refrigerate the water
that passes through it? It's getting really hot here in

the Sacramento Valley.
The pond got to 80 today and could get hotter.

I'm in Southcentral TX where the pond water
gets over 90 degrees, and that's in the shade
(shade cloth set-up - see below).

My solution: Lots of plants, low fish stocking,
shade (already mentioned), aeration and/or
filtration. I do the latter only on the pond with
the goldfish and so far haven't seen any problems
with any of my ponds. And mine are small -
ranging from 110 gallons to about 200 gallons,
so higher temps can really have an effect.

Also avoid feeding during the heat of the day
when oxygen levels are lower. And/or feed less,
like every other day.

You can purchase 'shade cloth' from many industrial supply

stores and it comes
in many colors, lighter colors are better than darker ones

or black. Have a
few tie-off points and possibly some support if it's a

huge pond and simply
slide the cloth over your pond on the really hot days.

You could do it a foot
over the water or 8 feet up so you could still enjoy the

pond.

This is excellent advice, and one I've taken
with my ponds. The shade cloth is very strong,
too, and if well attached with some slits cut in
it, holds up to fairly strong winds, as from
thunderstorms.

[snip]
If money and the planet's resources are of no concern to

you you can simply
let your garden hose run into the pond and let the water

go down your
overflow.... tap water is normally around 50 degrees.

Problem with this advice is if the original
poster's tap water contains chlorine or, worse
(for fish), chloramines, such advice will
kill the fish. You can of course add water
treatment (Prime, for example) while adding
tap water, which is what I do, but that's not
going to work if he's replacing the entire
pond water.

James, Seattle (where "too hot" makes us laugh)

Which makes me really jealous! I've always
had great fondness for the Pacific Northwest.
Given my druthers, I'd rather live in Seattle
than just about anywhere else. (But don't
tell any Texans that!)

Gail
near San Antonio TX