Old 16-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Trickle down veggie filter ?

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message

Any amount of dense rooted plants will work well in a VF. I love

Hyacinth,
and Ingrid has had fantastic succes with celery. Water cress in a moving
body of water will grow like wildfire, but does not have as dense a root
system as the WH or the celery.

I will use hyacinth too... celery doesn't seem to grow for me. We have
some sort of nasty weeds in our livestock pond, so might get a few of
those and put in one corner of the trough.

WH has always flourished for me. My celery is planted around the edge of the
pond. It thrives but does not seem to get roots as dense as the WH.
Hopefully Ingrid will chime in and mention how hers is planted. She has
celery that puts her WH to shame. I think Jim has the same results. I chaulk
it up to planting location. Mine is jammed into rocks around the pond,
whereas hers is in the VF.

I'd be wary of the weeds, until I knew what they were. They could end up
choking your VF. Remember, you want lots of plants in the VF, but you prefer
densely rooted plants.

I think your idea is great, except for one thing. Eventually that rock

will
get clogged up. How will you clean it?

Everything is going to be enclosed in mesh bags, light enough for me
to lift out. (Hubby actually LOL)

You may want to consider using lighter weight bio media, such as the stuff
that is commercially available. It'll cost you more, but save your back. I
am currently planning a trickle tower to be added to my VF, and when I do
it, I plan to use cross sections of PVC pipe. It'll be cheap. Easy to make,
and lightweight.

BV.