Old 16-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Gail Futoran

Default Few odd Questions Any help appreciated (pond/water couorse building/sturgeon) (UK)

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
Hi All - There is apparently some sub dynamic of this

group that I am
totally unaware of.

No more than in any other newsgroup I've
ever been in.

[snips ahoy]

Perhaps I should not be commenting at all but I just

saw something in
this thread that I dont get. Maybe its something as

simple as you vets not
being allowed to say "You pond newbies are just too stupid

at first so we
are going to start you off really slowly". I resemble

that remark.

I've seen the same thing in the aquaria newsgroup
I frequent. Response to newbie posts tend to fall into
one of three broad categories:

1) Helpful but very very brief - "do water tests"

2) helpful with some explanation - "do water tests
like kh, pH, nitrates, so we can advise you better"

3) helpful with a chemistry degree - "do water
tests because if zf3 is higher than gl15 then
tmn0004 will be reduced signicantly below the
optimal j3e6p4 level for plants unless you stock
low light plants then the optimal p56sub8 level
will be *increased* unless your water has
3ppx salt..."

For newbies (I consider myself barely above
that level), generally the first two types of
explanation are most useful. I now know
enough about aquaria (and ponds) to prefer
category 2 explanations, but don't have the
patience (or education) to slog through most
of the category 3 explanations, although I
recognize their helpfulness to many.

But that's what some of the regulars here
were referring to, IMO. No secret agenda,
as someone else pointed out, just an awareness
that we all have different experiences and
different (current) knowledge levels and what
might be useful to you might be mind bogglingly
obscure or insulting baby talk to someone else.

Gail
near San Antonio TX