Old 16-06-2004, 05:11 PM
evolutionman 2004

Default edger advice

I've used electric edgeer Black/Decker models for years. They often are
more powerful than the equivalent gas-powered models. They work adequately
for most soils (when dry) and will generally last 4-6 years. However, this
assumes that you keep the blade sharpened (once/year).keep it fairly clean,
and don't mind pulling around 100 feet of electric cord. In other words,
they're great for small yards. They also don't have a throttle (speed
control), so they only move at one speed. That means, you may have to run
them back and forth over tough roots and grasses before they make your edge
properly. But, once you have established an edge cut, they need less effort
the next time around. Unfortunately, B&D often makes the model with parts
which are hard to replace (models change and parts aren't available after
4-6 years).

The gas-powered models are great for larger yards (longer drives, sidewalks,
etc.) and you don't have to worry about the cord. Some models have
interchangeable parts (double as a trimmer, snow blower, hedge trimmer,
etc.). They also feature increased speed control and this works great if
you have different grasses/soils to edge through. If you a first timer and
want the thing to work right the first time (no priming, pulling a cord
starter), then go with the electric model. They're also quieter (less ear
damage). Hope this helps.

"John" wrote in message
I want to buy a lawn edger and I'm wondering if the electric models (about
$80) have plenty of power or would I be better off going gas as with some
other things. Having never used an edger before I'm not really even sure

if
you NEED much power. Advice appreciated.

John