Old 16-06-2004, 05:11 PM
evolutionman 2004

Default Mulch

Not recommended for mulching directly. The grass forms mats which will
prevent water from penetrating (especially at 6 inches thick). Also, any
weed seeds contained in it will eventually propogate and defeat the purpose
of weed prevention. If you also have applied weed killers/insecticides,
these could be systemically in the grass and prevent your garden plants from
growing. The best way to use grass clippings is to start a compost pile
(ingredients/methods are available online or in most garden books). This
will eventually turn those clippings into useful (fertile) soil/mulch which
can be spread on later (about 1 year from now). Hope this helps.