Old 16-06-2004, 07:06 PM
xtr396472

Default Whats more important PH or KH

I still have a high ph after 24 hours 7.6 plus
Thanks for all the answers
Mike

" wrote in message
m...
"xtr396472" wrote in message

I have started to use Flourish Excel to feed my plants instead of DIY

yeast
CO2
The only problem is my tap water KH is 3 and pH at least 7.6
What is more important to maintain the pH or the KH. I would like to get

the
pH down to around 7 with out using CO2 just for breeding purposes.
Any thought apprec.
Thanks

As far a breeding goes, the KH, the salts etc in your water are more
important.
I do not consider pH to be a large issue except with repsect to
measuring CO2 with KH.
Fish live in wide ranges and I think people worry too much about it
and think having it at some precise range is best. pH changes daily in
regions where there are both plants and fish. Often quite large
variations.

If you sit your tap water out in a glass for 24 hours and then measure
the pH what do you think it will be? About 7.2-7.3 or so. Try it and
see.

Good plant growth = good fish health.

I do not think it will make any difference in your tank or breeding to
have a pH of 7.0 vs 7.4.

You can use peat
You can use CO2
Excel is okay, but it's maybe 1/3 the potency of CO2 gas.
DIY is cheap.

I'd stick with CO2 personally. I have fish breed all the time and I
don't worry about the fish at all, just take care of the plants and
feeded a varied diet to the fish.

Fish are secondary to me, you might not feel the same, but the
approach of taking care of the plants to take care of the fish does
work very well FYI.

Regards,
Tom Barr