Old 17-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Paul

Default Planting a tree set on limestone...

As an out-of-stater new to Austin (NW), I went out and bought a tree
last year thinking I could just dig a hole with my shovel and plant
it... Hah. Of course I was surprised when I hit solid bedrock 16"
down. The tree (a Drake (Chinese) Elm))was in a plastic container,
don't know how many gallons but it just fit in the 16" deep hole I
dug... So I set it on top of the bedrock and filled in (diameter was
about 3x that of the root mass diameter).

My question is, is it ok to put the Drake Elm on top of bedrock like
this? It's been one year, the tree looks great, but hasn't rooted
much. Am I going to end up having to dig out the tree after a few
years?

Thanks