Old 17-06-2004, 02:02 AM
Christopher Fuhrman

Default lady beetle larvae/pupae

Hi,

It's my second spring/summer with a garden in Montreal and I'm noticing lots
of lady beetle larvae/pupae this time of year. They are very aggressive
aphid eaters, and the pupae are very cool looking. I had no idea what they
were at first, but found a great web page or two using Google images search.
For example:

http://entomology.unl.edu/ornamental...eneficials.htm

Question: will they take care of saw-fly larvae? My observation is that they
seem to flee them, as they flick their tails at them... This is my biggest
frustration with my roses, as I don't want to use pesticides. I end up
picking them off by hand, or cutting the new growth once it shows signs of
laid eggs (trauma to the fine branches). It's tedious, and I wish there were
some natural predator to take care of that for me.