Old 17-06-2004, 03:10 AM
Ka30P

Default Heron in the city

Hi Deb,

Unfortunately the heron will try and stab through the mesh.
Kind of depends on the size of the mesh. A larger mesh he could still get a
fish, tadpole or frog. Smaller mesh he might get frustrated and leave.

There are a couple things that help

- a finer bird netting over the pond
- put in an pond shock fence
- a motion activated sprinkler
(go to froogle.com to find these products)
and just in case you get advice of a lethal nature....
- Migratory Bird Act forbids lethal methods,
heavy fines and jail time take away from pond time ;-)

Some herons are very shy. It took a couple of times with the labradors and
myself out in the yard and our visiting heron gave up. But that worked as I am
an at home mom for the most part. Some can be very persistent, if they find the
pond and yard quiet for long periods of time.

Let us know how you do!

kathy :-)