Old 17-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Gary Brady

Default Planting a tree set on limestone...

My question is, is it ok to put the Drake Elm on top of bedrock like this?
It's been one year, the tree looks great, but hasn't rooted much. Am I going
to end up having to dig out the tree after a few years?

FWIW, all of the trees in my front yard, about 30 live oaks and a few other
species, are all in 30" of mixed soil and rock with solid bedrock underneath.
A water line was put in at a depth of about 6' a few years back and the bedrock
in the trench was solid and unfractured. Its hard to imagine that those live
oaks live so well in 30" of dirt, but they do, and with very little watering on
my part. I don't know about Drake Elms, but I would have to say "If it ain't
broke , don't fix it".

Gary Brady
Austin, TX