Old 17-06-2004, 03:08 PM
gerry

Default Kitty Litter destroys String Algae

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:42:20 -0400, gerry wrote:

This is just a post reporting results I had from tips in another thread. I
made it a new thread to highlight it. Take no credit other than my success
story, the concept was posted by others.

I've been fighting string Algae for three years. Barely straw works early
in the year but fails when the trees leaf out and there is too little
sunlight (UV) to make peroxide from straw decay products.

Update

About 7 days and 6 tablespoons of kitty litter, no strings or blankets to
be found! There is some green mush around the bases of iris and the like,
but I can't even remove it - falls apart.

All other life forms in the pond seem very happy! I'm certainly giving up
on barley straw or herbicides.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com