Old 17-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Duane Duane is offline
Registered User

Default Troy-Bilt

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
[
The worst thing you ever purchased? That seems a little odd to me. I
don't think I would have shelled out $1800 on a tiller, but then I did
spend $700+ on a Troy in 1980 (what is that in 2004 dollars?) and I am
still using it although the original 6hp Tecumseh broke the rod this
Spring so for $300 I put a new 8hp Tecumseh on it. I need to adjust
the sliding block for the disengage lever every year or two. Maybe you
need to file the sliding block a bit if you have such trouble pulling
up on the disengage lever. The Honda looks like a virtual clone to me
although with some added bells and whistles. To anyone considering it
my suggestion would be to buy used, in the Fall or Winter. [/b]
The list price was $2,395 in 1999 US dollars and I got it on sale during the Fall season for $1800. US dollars at Sears. It is a 8hp electric start so it would more then yours.
At any price it is still junk !!!

Its going on Ebay soon. Right now its now working again, the moter runs but the tiller does move. I don't have time until this weekend to look at it again.

I brought it to the Troy Bilt representive in my area (very large company) for servicing once, and the customer service manager said they repair them (all the time ! ! !) but stopped carrying Troy Bilt because Troy Bilt have so many problems before and after MTD acquired the.

I was also at a Rental Yard last year, and the owner there complaint that each time he rents out the Troy Bilt, the renter calls up after a hour, and complains about the tiller, so he has to drive out to the customer's house, and delievers the Honda tiller for the renter to use and brings back the Troy Bilt for more adjustments. He also mentioned that the rental customer consistently complain about Troy Bilt and speak very highly of the Honda, and wants to know why they even bother to rent out the Troy-Bilt tiller.

Additionally, reading the Troy-Bilt Operator's Manual is like reading the Boeing 747 Airplane Operator's Manual in Latin. IE Loosen Part A while hold Part B which is shown back on Page 33 and now reach around to Part D which is shown on Page 44, while kneeling on your right knee. You get the idea??

Maybe back in 1980 they were made better.