Old 17-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Linda Barsalou

Default Mr. Snapper has outlived his welcome

We had about a 5-6 inch snapper eating pieces out of the
tails of our goldfish a couple years ago. They can be
caught with a fishnet fairly easily, but make sure after you
have him that you take him a couple of miles away. The
first time we took ours about a quarter mile to a large
creek and the next day he was back. After we caught him
again, we took him about 2 miles down the creek and he
stayed gone that time.

Linda

JohnMcGrew wrote:

I first noticed him about 3 years ago, with a frog leg (still attached to a
not-happy frog) in his mouth. Sightings were then occasional, perhaps a dozen
a year, as he was quite shy. As soon as he sees you approach the pond, he'd
disappear under the foliage. He's grown quite a bit since then, and is now 8
inches head to end of tail. His most obnoxious habits had been limiting the
frog population (needed for bug control) and snipping free the lily pads. I
also suspect he's responsible for some of the fish.

Last week, I found a blue jay in the pond with him making a meal of it.
Strange. Then earlier this week, I was looking out my window, and saw him out
of the pond, proceeding towards the lawn. I ran out and found him hiding in
the grass. I suspect he was hunting for birds, where he'd surprise them and
drag them back to the pond. As you can imagine, he wasn't particularly happy
when I picked him up. After taking a couple of pictures of his hissing and
snapping, I replaced him in the pond.

I now think that was a mistake. I should have kept him out when I had him.
He's a bit less shy now. The other day while feeding the fish, I watched as
he'd try to grab them as I fed them. Needless to say, he's not contributing to
the happy environ that I'd like to have in my backyard. I'd like to capture
him and find him a more suitable home. Any suggestions the best way to capture
him? The odds of finding him on walk-about again are not very likely.

John.

John