Old 17-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Default Cactus ID and Help

Don't you jump to wild conclusions, Quick Draw McGraw.

That plant certainly is a cactus.

As I have said before, it is Cereus hildmannianus, often misidentified as
Cereus peruvianus in the trade. The plant is very common in cultivation.

It doesn't look at all like a Euphorbia, especially the one you mention.

"John McGaw" wrote in message
"Terrel" wrote in message
We recently acquired a badly-neglected cactus.

I'm hoping that some cactus lover can help me out by letting me know
what kind of cactus it is. Photo is at the following:

http://www.geocities.com/terrelmay/

Once I find out what kind of cactus it is, I'll search on the Internet
for information on how to care for it. But any hints/tips would be
appreciated.

It's so top-heavy that it doesn't stand up on it's own. In the photo,
the only reason it's upright is because the top part of it is leaning
into the corner. I'm guessing that it should be repotted, but I don't
think just repotting will get it to stand up on it's own. Any ideas
regarding this would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Terrel
--
Spamblocker in address. If you must reply by e-mail,
remove the last three letters of the alphabet and .invalid

I'm not even sure that it IS a cactus. To me it looks more like what I

knew
as Euphorbia grandis although it seems to have acquired another name.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...byssinica.html

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]