Old 18-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Moe

Default gray and brown lawn

It's virtually impossible to diagnose this type of problem without
actually seeing it and knowing what kind of grass it is, soil
conditions, the weather, watering practices, fertilizer/chemicals,
etc. If your state has an agricultural service, you may be able to
take them some samples for diagnosis. Or call in a lawn service.

Indeed. Good idea on the ag. service. I may bring in a sample of the
brown patches.

You;re right that the blue/grey look, with no bounce back, is a
classic sign of not enough water. Have you contined to water it
regularly? At 5 weeks in moderately hot weather I would be watering
at least every other day. This is one of the reasons why spring is
not the best time to try to establish a new lawn. If you apply water
when it first looks this way, it should bounce right back. Also, what
kind of fertilizer or chemicals have you applied? Too much fertilizer
with not enough water makes it worse.

This is probably what's going on. Once most of the grass came up I quit
watering. This was fine for most of the lawn since I had shade there,
but the blue-gray patches are all in the constant sun. I'll do some
frequent deep watering to see if that helps.

Thanks for the input!