Old 18-06-2004, 04:04 AM
NetMax

Default kH seasonal cycles?

"Kris Waygood" wrote in message
news:BJnAc.22$T_1.9@clgrps12...

RedForeman ©® wrote:
The biggest reason I wouldn't 'work' that much with it, is, it's

work.

That's a matter of opinion. I only do this in 1 tank, and it's well an
experiment.

Some
ppl feel the need to take the hobby to the farthest edge of their
capabilities,

Well I'm only interested in the developing the most naturally beautiful
and prolific tank possibly, is that considered an extreme.

I guess I won't mention my plan to completely encase the amazon river

in
an acrylic tank, for my personal viewing.

From time to time, I have a hankering to mess with
something,

beginnings of a world domination complex

The best reason I can give you, is there is no real good reason to do

it,
unless of course, you just want to... :-)

Ahhhh. finally down to the real motive.

Kris

To a lesser extent today than before the Internet, we used to cast about
for potential spawning triggers. Armed with unidentified fish and no
documentation, we looked at where they came from and their closest
cousins for clues. The variables available are water temperature (slowly
increased and then a small sudden drop), duration of light (increase for
Spring, decrease for Fall), sudden drops in gH and or increases in
tannins (dropping leaf litter into the tank), rainfall (light shower from
a watering can over the water's surface), diet changes (glut in bugs
coinciding with fish spawning) and the usual privacy and various types of
substrates & shelters.

I'd never heard of using kH as a spawning trigger, as I've had the
impression that fish do not react to it directly. As to why we did it,
it was to spawn a new type of fish and tell the tale )
--
www.NetMax.tk