Old 18-06-2004, 05:04 AM

Default Mold on cherry fruit

In , on 06/17/04
at 04:13 PM, William Brown said:

We have a mature sweet cherry tree (Stella, sold as self-pollinating)
that has produced very well for quite a few years. This year we had a
warm and very wet spring. We're in zone 5/6, very near lake Erie which
moderates the weather. The tree set its usual abundant crop but just as
they started to turn, a mold started developing on the fruits, and the
whole crop shriveled up. My concern is what I should to to protect the
tree now that this has happened. The leaves seem healthy, and I don't
find an abnormal amount of insects. Since it is a full sized tree, and
my climbing days are over, I have not kept it as pruned as I do my dwarf
tree, so I think my fall project will be to do a drastic pruning and try
to get more breeze into the tree for next year. Is there anything else I
can do for it?

Sounds like brown rot. Do a web search, and you'll find sites telling you
how to deal with it (what and when to spray.) Good luck.

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1