Old 18-06-2004, 05:04 AM
David J Bockman

Default bad start with new sod (went completely brown)

Dan,

Stupid question, but bear with me. is the sod brown as in the grass stems
are browing out, or are they brown from the underlying soil percolating up
after the deluge?

Just fyi, for future ref, newly laid sod must be watered thoroughly, to the
point of being almost sodden, for the first few weeks...

Dave

"Dan Brenner" wrote in message
om...
We live in Ontario, Canada (Toronto area). We moved into a new house
(new construction) and recently in June the sod was laid out in front
of the house, between the house and the sidewalk. This has happened on
a Saturday morning. Unfortunately, due to some family problems I
wasn't able to get to water it until Tuesday evening. However, during
the night of Monday-Tuesday there has been a thunderstorm with heavy
pouring rain. Within one day after the storm, the sod has completely
changed its colour into light brown... It's been 2 days now after the
storm and although I water it an hour in the morning and and hour in
the evening, there has not been a change in colour. At this point I
wonder if I should water it even more or maybe I'm wasting my time and
it will not recover being dead already. I lifted a small patch to look
underneath and it is moist but there may be pockets of air.
I would appreciate any advice you may have.

Regards,
Danny