Old 18-06-2004, 12:03 PM
George Thompson

Default SLUGS and salt

might not be slugs! I just planted out my vegitables etc around my
pond. All of a sudden they got munched, so I did the usual. My usual
is:

Scatter dried oats around the base of any plants - this dehyrates them
and doesn't cause problems to birds.

This didn't work so:

Dig a small hole & place a steepsided cup into it. Lay a lid over the
top propped up by a small stone. Fill with (dregs of) ale this
attracts the slugs which get quite a humane death (IMHO)

Got a few slugs, but oddly enough I also caught a huge catapillar
(probably spelt wrong). Fat on my radishes.

Plants are now recovering.

jammer wrote in message . ..
Well i rarely see them, but see the damage they are causing. I killed
one that was about 4 inches long! But i am not picking them up. I
wanted to sprinkle a little salt on the dirt a foot away from the
water to kill the slugs as they go to the plants. Is that safe?