Old 18-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Iain Miller

Default Giant Annubia too big

"Dick" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:32:28 +0100, "Iain Miller"
wrote:

Since I have loads of roots hanging from the middle, I expect I
will bury the stem and as many roots as I can.

Don't bury the stem - just bury the roots a bit. Just weight the thing

down
using plant weights or tie it to a log or a rock with either thread or
fishing line till it grabs hold of the rock/log of its own accord.

What does the rock/log do? Why do the roots grab them?
What would happen if I just pushed stem and roots into sand?
Your instructions are different than any other plant I have, but this
plant is different from any other.

My Annubias are all growing on either rocks or logs or just sitting loosely
at the bottom of the tank (weighted down with plant weights). They seem to
like it better than being planted & the roots work their way down into the
sand anyway. If you tie the thing to a rock or a log (or even just use
weights to sit the plant on top of it) within a couple of weeks the plant
will attach itself with its roots.

When I look at the whole plant it is eye catching. It occupies 1/3 of
the tank area, but lots of space for the fish to swim around. My
Siamese Algae Eaters like to rest on the large leaves. My Clown Loach
has a cave mouth under a lower leaf. When I think of dividing I
imagine a very strange plant. I know I will have to do something, but
I fear the results are going to be less than satisfying. I sure will
be upsetting myself and my critters, but don't see any other option.

It probably will lookl a bit strange for a week or two but it'll fill in the
gap pretty quickly

What will happen if I do nothing? When the leaves reach the water top
what will happen? Oh woe is me. I hate making decisions!

Nothing will happen except that the plant will just get more & more dense &
the quality of the leaves you get will diminish in - it will just start to
look big & old if that makes sense.

If its of any consolation I waas similarly nervous when I started curring my
Annubias but I got over that pretty quickly (!)

rgds

I.

dick