Old 18-06-2004, 05:03 PM
gerry

Default Kitty Litter destroys String Algae

On 17 Jun 2004 21:00:31 -0700, (lalu) wrote:

There are two types of bentonite clays - calcium bentonite and sodium
bentonite. Calcium bentonite is generic 'koi clay' and what you are
looking for. Sodium benonite, the kind used in clumping kitty
litters, tends to swell and form icky masses and is generally not used
in ponds for algae and trace minerals.

By the way, the term 'clay' refers to a particular size of soil
particle with specific physical properties, just as silt is a totally
different larger one. And sand is still larger. Particle size is of
primary importance here. They are not interchangable. A mixture of
all three particle types in a good garden soil, usually with some
organic humus thrown in to help structure, is what is referred to as
'loam'.

There have been very good past threads on koi clay on this forum.
Type into a search 'calcium bentonite' or 'koi clay' and read them.
They are very informative and tell where to get generic c.bentonite of
a more desireable form than generic kitty litter.

If you had read this thread, I referenced the other threads and specially
am not using clumping no scented kitty litter. You can search and find the
specific one I used.

gerry

--

Personal home page -