Old 19-06-2004, 12:03 AM
nswong

Default Compost Usage

(Jay) wrote in message
. com...

Regarding the slow release granular fertilizer, what type should I
use. I see miracle grow is 15-30-15.

"Bob S." wrote in message
m...

The first number, 15, is the nitrogen content, and I wouldn't go
higher than 15 for vegetables. In fact, 10 would probably be ok.

The
second number, 30, (potassium if I recall correctly) gives me a

little
doubt.

The three numbers are NPK(Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium). :-)

However, it never ever leaves the soil
and just keeps building up year after year. If it gets too high, it
blocks the roots from absorbing needed nutrients. And there is
absolutely nothing you can do to correct it other than hauling off

the
soil and starting over.

Phosphorus fixation by calcium started at PH 7.5, so if the P are too
high, raise the PH above 7.5 will reduce the availability of P, at PH
8.5 P will become least available.

Potassium availability can reduce by lower the PH to below 6.0.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m