Old 19-06-2004, 07:06 AM
adavisus

Default Mr. Snapper has outlived his welcome

Hi John,

No, it's not easy winkling a snapping turtle out of a decent sized
pond. They are well able to hear you, before you get to the pond to
see them, a snapping turtle will dawdle gently into deep water and
invisible depths to listen to the sound of your footsteps come, and
go...

On a string of a dozen ponds here I was taking all sorts of damage to
waterlilies in particular, never a sight of the guilty party...

It took a year to figure out a solution, a turtle trap

A roll of chicken wire and considerable snipping a joining, voila...
turtles peck and tug a bait, a cage door closes behind them...

Within a few weeks I fished out five snapping turtles with 6" to 12"
shell lengths, a nine inch yellow belly turtle and several mud turtles
(returned to the ponds as innocent bystanders)

No turtle troubles for a year now, a turtle trap is always at the
ready, come the day lilypads and buds start to drift again...

Regards, andy
Don't forget to check out the plantlist below, with links to photo's
and descriptions of aquatic plants at webshots
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

the happy environ that I'd like to have in my backyard. I'd like to capture
him and find him a more suitable home. Any suggestions the best way to capture
him? The odds of finding him on walk-about again are not very likely.

John.