Old 19-06-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Few odd Questions Any help appreciated (pond/water couorse building/sturgeon) (UK)

Being a scientist I must see more science in "ponding" and very little art at all.
well except for the colors I use in my veggie filter.
Jo Ann Burke sold expensive fancy GF for 25+ years and came up with a "formula" for
newbie success in keeping GF in aquariums. It went against many if not most of the
"common" wisdoms, like no UGF, no gravel, feed lightly and high quality foods and LOW
stocking levels. Water quality is 99%. Her method is now widely used and
successful.

There is a nearly fool proof formula for a koi pond for newbies as well. Setting up
the pond to optimize water quality is 99% of keeping fish alive .. for those who are
building a pond because they specifically want to keep KOI OR fancy GF.

Those who are building as natural a pond as they can for "wildlife" that is so easy
it needs no formula at all. Dig a hole, line it, put some rocks and gravel around
the edges, plunk down some plants and fill with water. the wildlife will come.

Then there are people who want BOTH a natural pond with "wildlife" AND fish in the
pond. This is MUCH more difficult to achieve, balancing the needs of wildlife and
highly inbred fish. It takes a lot more work and knowledge. I personally think
people who want natural ponds with wildlife should at least start without koi or
fancy GF. Maybe some gambusa or mosquito fish to keep mosquitoes down. or use
mosquito dunks.

People who really want both koi/GF and "natural" are going to have to have it easy.
Net the pond to keep the fish in and the herons out, but that prevents other animals
from getting in and out as well. Do I keep birds out because they carry disease or
do I want them splashing in the fountain? Do I want gin clear water or a natural
pond? Do I want plants in the pond or fish? Most people find the plants getting
whacked by the fish, the fish driving up the waste and getting sick from all the
cooties the wildlife is bringing in. And many treatments are not possible with
plants in the water.

The people on this list seem to have a firm grasp of what the "essentials" are for
natural ponds in general, for fish ponds in general and for balancing their own
particular natural pond with fish. Maybe we need an essentials list that gives
newbies benefit of our knowledge without our having to repeat it all the time?

Ingrid

Also read "Pond keeping is not a science it is an art".
Ponding is not a formula. There are just too many variables which can
frequently change making each pond it's own little learning experience.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.