Old 19-06-2004, 10:07 PM
nutNhoney

Default Strawberries

I moved my strawberries this spring to the new raised bed so wasn't
expecting a bumper crop. However, I really wasn't impressed at sharing
any of the delectible berries with a creature that only eats part and
leaves the rest! I've been doing a clean pick each morning, then
checking in the afternoon, and troubleshooting. I kept checking in the
evening for slugs and set out a few traps to see if slugs had managed to
get into the beds. I finally found what was eating the ripe berries -
strawberry sap beetle. I caught the little creature right in the act!
I'm taking the organic approach and checking the bed several times
thoughout the day to pick any ripe berries. It seems to be working ok
with losing only a couple of berries a day.