Old 20-06-2004, 08:02 AM
David Ross

Default A compost question

[snipped lengthy message that bascially asked: Should I add
bonemeal when composting?]

The best thing to add when composting is old compost. It has all
the necessary micro-organisms for turning leaves and clippings into
greate soil.

To speed things up, I add nitrogen. I use urea, a synthetic
organic. The micro-organisms proliferate with nitrogen. This is
especially good if your raw material is mostly dry leaves.

The only things really needed are air and water. I use a spading
fork to turn my compost pile, which brings air into the center of
the pile. Then I wet it down (something I should do more often).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean